top of page

Acerca de


Q: What is physiciansapply?

A: Registering on is  the first step to start the process to write the licensing exams. They will verify your identity and your medical degree (source verification) then you can apply to sit the exams. This is a paid service.


Q: What is the MCC?

A: MCC stands for the Medical Council of Canada and is the body that governs the  licensing exams required. They also provide paid practice tests when preparing for the MCCQE Part1 exam. They provide all the information you need to know about the examinations and assessment programs available. Go to


Q: Do I need to write the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Exam (MCCEE)?

A: No, this exam is no longer offered by the MCC and is not required for residency applications.


Q: Which exams are now required to apply for residency programs?

A: The MCCQE Part 1 and the NAC OSCE.


Q: What is the NAC PRA?

A: This is short for the National Assessment Collaboration Practice-Ready Assessment which is an assessment that bypasses the CaRMS process for physicians who have completed residency in their home country. This is only available in some provinces.


Q: Can I work in Canada as a doctor after passing all my exams?

A: No. There are no house officer/ general practitioner positions in Canada. You will need to apply to a residency program via the CaRMS or apply to a Practice Ready Assessment (PRA) program.


Q: What is CaRMS?

A: This stands for the Canadian Resident Matching Service which provides the platform to apply to residency programs. This is a paid service.


Q: Do I need to be a permanent resident to apply to residency programs in Canada?

A: Yes you do. However, you do not need to be a permanent resident to sit the licensing exams.


Q: If I completed residency in my home country do I have to repeat residency training in Canada?

A: Not necessarily there are Practice Ready Assessment programs available in some provinces for family practice and a few specific specialities.


Q: What alternative jobs can I do to gain Canadian healthcare experience?

A: Some ITPs work as clinical assistants whether formally (e.g. ACSAP or Manitoba) or informally, also some do expedited nursing programs and practice as a nurse in various specialities. Other programs can be found here.


Q: What are some alternative careers in healthcare?

A: There are positions such as clinical assistants, research or lab assistants, public health jobs, health IT jobs, health administration jobs. However, most of these jobs require some form of training and/or additional education/ certification. 


Q: Can I resit the MCCQE Part 1 Exam if I want to get a higher score?

A: No, you can only resit if you failed the exam. You have a maximum of 4 attempts.

If there is a question you would like answered but you do not see it here, please submit your question directly to us.

bottom of page